Friday 4 March 2011

Deborah Melanie: 'Winter's Spirit'


Blurb:


Winter McAndrew is on the brink of divorcing her philandering husband, Philip, when he dies in a car crash. One year later and with unfinished business; Philip is still earth bound and interfering in his wife’s love life. Trying to make amends isn't always easy when you're dead. Not only has Winter fallen for her old crush, Jack Tobin, but he also happens to be Philip’s cousin. With more complications than a woman needs at Christmas, Winter tries to find peace at her holiday home in The Lake District. However, when she finds herself snowed in with Jack; ghosts, old and new cause quite a stir. Will Winter get her man, or will ghostly Philip put an end to all her festive fantasies?


Excerpt:

“Oh heck,” she muttered. Not only did the vase shatter, but so too did her sexy daydream. Would it ever be possible for her to get though one of these daytime fantasies without breaking something in the shop? Last week it had been a coffee mug, the week before, a china soap dish. It wouldn’t do to get her sister too suspicious.

“Tut, tut,” came the voice she was fast learning to hate. “Not another one of your smouldering day dreams I hope.”

She turned around to see Philip; floating somewhere between the fragranced soaps and bath bombs.

“I’m starting to get annoyed at you just turning up here uninvited, Philip. Can’t you send out a psychic calling card or something? Or even better, leave me alone.”

He grinned, displaying his still perfect white teeth. Sadly, death had done little to deteriorate his charming good looks. “I can’t leave you until the deed is done. Whatever it may be. You know full well I need to do my good act on earth before I can pass over.”

“Well hurry up and do it. It’s been a full year already. I thought you would have figured it out by now. Haven’t you any idea what it is you need to do?”

“No. I haven’t. Believe me, I wish I could. This situation is just as bad for me as it is for you. I didn’t ask for it. Or this.” He gestured towards his attire. “It’s bloody freezing at the best of times, but this week has been awful. The cold gets everywhere.”

“Perhaps you should have thought about your appearance before you died in a hospital gown. I’ve no sympathy at all. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to tidy this mess before Summer comes in.”

“Ah, yes. You wouldn’t want her to see the evidence of your day dreams would you? If only I could read your mind dear wife. I’d love to know who is occupying your thoughts these days.”

“Well let me assure you, it isn’t you. Now go.” He folded his arms sulkily and vanished into the ether.

“Good riddance,” she muttered, bending to pick up the pieces of the broken vase. Her occasional clumsiness could be explained away, but she shuddered at the prospect of explaining her dead husband’s haunting.


Website: http://www.deborahmelanie.com/

Buy link: http://www.solsticepublishing.com/products/Winter%27s-Spirit.html


Biography:

As a child I loved to create my own stories; sometimes for friends and sometimes for my own enjoyment. At the age of eleven I entered my first story writing competition. However, it wasn't until many years later that I seriously returned to writing. In the past I have worked as a reviewer, but my first love lies with creating my own characters and their own adventures. Thanks to the encouragement of my husband, I am making a lifelong dream come true.

4 comments:

Zequeatta Jaques said...

Enjoyed the excerpt,Deborah. It makes me want to read more of your story. Best of luck with Winter's Spirit.

Your book cover is great bytheway.

Anonymous said...

This looks a really interesting read.
thanks, Grace x

Anonymous said...

Zequeatta, I'm so glad you enjoyed the excerpt.

Grace, thank you for your comments and support.

Paula Martin said...

Love the idea of an almost ex-husband proving to be a total PITA afterhis death. What a fun idea! Great excerpt.